How to Apply for US Student Visa
The type of visa needed to visit the US depends on the purpose of your visit to that country. It can either be a non-immigrant visa for temporary
stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.
A non-immigrant visa is used by tourists, business people, students, or specialty workers who wish to stay for a particular period of time in the
United States to accomplish specific purposes.
The F1 visa category is reserved for academic students enrolled in universities, colleges, language training programs, high schools, and other
academic institutions. The first step for a prospective student is being accepted for enrollment in an established school (University/College) which is SEVP certified.
Candidates should note that a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States. A visa simply indicates that a US consular officer has determined that you are eligible to apply for entry to the United States for a specific purpose.
According to US visa laws and regulations, most non-immigrant visa applicants must demonstrate to the consular officer that they have strong ties to their country of residence and that they intend to depart the US after their temporary stay.
Steps to apply for F1 Visa
1. You must have the following documents before applying for the F1 Visa:
· I-20 form
· SEVIS fee receipt
· Valid passport
· Birth certificate
2. Obtain a visa application from the US consulate office
3. Pay visa application fee: You will need to create a profile and must keep your receipt number to book an appointment for the visa interview.
4. Fill application (DS-160) form: All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted, you will not be able to make any changes. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.
5. Schedule an interview: You will need to login to your profile with the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard. Click on ‘Schedule Appointment’ on the left-hand side menu. This will startthe process for scheduling your appointment.
You must schedule two appointments, one for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one for the visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
6. Prepare and attend the interview for F1 visa