Life Inspirations: Sushila Sable-From Waste Picker to Ambassador of Climate Change  |  Science Innovations: Killing drug-resistant bacteria  |  Technology Inceptions: Canon EOS 200D II DSLR With Dual Pixel AF  |  Teacher Insights: Exercise activates memory neural networks   |  Management lessons: BPCL Allows Women Chemical Engineers in Night Shift  |  Health Monitor: Increase in Global Alcoholism Raises Global Disease Burden  |  Parent Interventions: Obesity in Pre-Pregnancy Stage Can Affect Quality of Breast Milk  |  Higher Studies: Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology UG Admissions  |  Technology Inceptions: Now Drones to Deliver Food   |  Technology Inceptions: India to Establish One lakh Digital Villages: Ravi Shankar Prasad  |  Best Practices: FSSAI to Impose Curbs on Promoting Unhealthy Products in School Premises  |  Management lessons: E-Services Most Important in Design of Smart Tourism Organisation  |  Rajagiri Round Table: 'Draft New Educational Policy Comprehensive, Hurdles Likely in Implementation'  |  International Edu News: Estonian schools promote English  |  Technology Inceptions: Microsoft AI Helps Leading Attract More Jobseekers, Employers  |  
  • Pallikkutam Magazine
  • Companion Magazine
  • Mentor
  • Smart Board
  • Pallikkutam Publications

April 02, 2018 Monday 01:19:07 PM IST

Finland Doubles length of Student Residence permits

Policy Indications

In a bid to encourage them to work or start businesses in the country, Finland is implementing a European Union directive that will double the length of its residence permits for students and researchers from outside the EU.

Scheduled to come into force on May 15, 2018, the new regulations will see existing permits extended from one year to two years, and up to a maximum of four. It will let students not only to seek work or start a business but also to complete on-the-job training and also do volunteering “within the scope of the EU’s voluntary programmes”. 

The new legislation will also have provisions for intra-EU mobility, meaning students will be permitted to study or engage in research in Finland if another EU member state grants them a residence permit.