Coronavirus lockdown: Kerala government declares special aid packages
1. The Kerala state government has decided to give free provisions to all ration cardholders in the State. Below the poverty line, cardholders will get an additional 35 kg of rice free next month. Other sections of cardholders, including above the poverty line and those holding non-priority cards would get up to 15 kg of rice-free. The government would also give free provision kits to those under home quarantine, irrespective of their income status. The bags would comprise rice, wheat, sugar, salt, edible oil, pulses and spices required for a week or month.
2. The Kerala state government has declared assistance to transgender people in the state by offering them free rations during the lockdown. Health Minister K.K. Shailaja said that kits containing essential items would be distributed to 1,000 transgender persons. The kit contains 5kg of quality rice, 1kg green gram, 500ml coconut oil, 1kg sugar, 1kg wheat flour and 500gm tea powder. The kits will be distributed through the district social justice officers.
3. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has announced free food for migrant workers.
4. Even though Anganawadis are not working, mid-day meals are being delivered by Anganwadi teachers in the state to children at their homes.
5. Kerala government has also decided to improve the availability of broadband services at home because of the mandatory work-from-home orders being issued across the world.