Are you a positive parent?
Positive parenting refers to the loving encouragement and guidance that lead children on the right path, extended in a positive way that prevents any temptation to be harsh on children. There are many advantages highlighted about the approach.
- An alternative to the authoritarian way most parents adopt while dealing with children’s issues. It is a variation from the mindset of punishing children for the wrong doings and bad behaviours to actively and creatively modeling and teaching children about positive behaviours and attitudes.
- Deals with approaching children with love, empathy and kindness instead of generating powers struggles at home through the administration of a set of rules.
- Uses techniques that work well for every child. The approach gives importance to listening to the child giving importance to the problem at hand and supporting the child to handle the situation.
- Allows the child to learn lessons from his/her experiences.
- The relationship between the parent and child becomes stronger after the process of solving the problem.
- The ultimate goal is to equip the child to become a fully-functioning adult.
In addition, these techniques leave a positive feeling about parenting on the mother and/or father concerned.
(Indebted to various sources)