Being a leader and being a manager are entirely different profiles. Though there are some similarities in the roes they handle, at the end of the day, leader remains a leaders and so is the manager.
Here are the key distinctions:
• Managers have people who work for them, while leaders have a sea of talent ready to follow in their footsteps.
• Managers rely on positional authority, whereas leaders exercise interpersonal influence.
• Managers like to control, while leaders inspire trust.
• Managers focus on execution, while leaders focus on developing and empowering others.
• Managers dole out tasks, while leaders share a vision that‘s motivating and meaningful.
To move from being a manager to being a leader, build a strong followership. This means shifting focus away your own success, and making an investment in developing others. It takes having the courage to let others shine.
Here are 15 leadership quotes to inspire you to make the leap from manager to leader.
1. “I measure my own success as a leader by how well the people who work for me succeed.” — Maria Shi
2. “Time spent understanding people is never wasted.” — Cate Huston
3. “Call others into leadership with you.”— Jacobia Solomon
4.“Don’t hire a copycat of yourself. Look for people whose skills are the opposite of yours. Dare to emphasize your weaknesses.” — Diane Janknegt
5.“If the people you lead have lost their spark, try looking in the mirror.” — Susan Fowler
6.“Managers light a fire under people; leaders light a fire in people.”― Kathy Austin
7.“Great leaders know when to step aside.” — Tara Jaye Frank
8. “When the best leader’s work is done the people say,
‘We did it ourselves.’” — Lao Tzu
9. “A true star shines her light on others. Be a star.” — Chloe Pink
10.“Great managers fight for their people.” — Liz Brenner
11.“Brag about what your people and team are doing. Build them up and help them find their voice.” — Stephanie Matthews
12.“Be stubbornly committed to your team, but flexible in your leadership style.” — Jo Miller
13.“Leaders don’t set out to climb the ladder. They rise by lifting others up.” — Jo Miller
14.“Always be the person you would want to work for.” — Liz Brenner
15.“Great leaders don’t set out to be leaders. They set out to make a difference.” — Jeremy Bravo
(Indebted to various sources)